Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

PAGE 32, WEDDING CARDS, 1860 - 1893

My great-grandfather James Grover "Grove" TERWILLIGER filled his late 1800s Souvenir Album with a miscellany of ribbons, invitations, stamps, cards, tickets, cut-outs from hotel letterheads, newspaper articles, and other items from his travels and affiliations.  

Page 32 
contains cards of the Terwilliger family weddings, invitations as well as cards stating they are now married. Several are of their cousins in the Terwilliger or Graves families. Note I am happy to copy any of these cards for those descendants who would like a better quality photo for their records. 


All are carefully labelled, but I am not certain whose handwriting this is. From the top down are the following: 

GRAVES-WISNER 1877 (2),  My great-grandmother, "Gussie" (see below), was the middle of three sisters, and this is the marriage notification card of her eldest sister, Lilian Adele Graves to lawyer, Gabriel W. Wisner on 11 July 1877, in Syracuse, Onondaga, New York.  They had 3 boys, Charles Kenneth, John Lawrence, and Rae Burton (known as Burt), plus daughter Florence Ethel (known as Ethel).  All four married, with one or two children, except for Florence. 

GRAVES-TERWILLIGER 1879 (2), These two cards are for my great-grandparents, Clara Augusta "Gussie" GRAVES and James Grover "Grove" TERWILLIGER, whose album this is. Gussie & Grove married 2 Oct 1879 in Syracuse, Onondaga, New York. They had three children: one daughter, my maternal grandmother Marguerite "Daisy" Josephine [also known as "Pepita/Peter"], and two sons, George Walter and Harold "Hal" Graves Terwilliger. All three married, Daisy with 5 living children, George and his "Duchess" Hazel (more nicknames!) with 2, and Harold "Hal" & his Baroness Carola with no children.

HERRICK-WILBUR 1879, This is the only couple's marriage where the couple are no relation to the family, and I am assuming they are likely good friends of my greatgrandparents' families.  Florence Herrick married Hiram M. Wilbur, in Syracuse, on 4 Sep 1879, a month before my great-grandparents' wedding.  Hiram was a lawyer, and the young couple may be seen on the 1880 census living about 70 miles north of Syracuse in Watertown, Jefferson, New York. Florence was 22, Hiram 28.

GRAVES-TYLER 1893, As mentioned above (Graves-Wisner) my great-grandmother, Clara Augusta "Gussie" GRAVES, was the middle of three girls, and this is the marriage notification/At Home card for her younger sister, Florence "Flo" Estelle Graves to Ernest F. Tyler.  They were married in Jordan New York on 6 sep 1893; living after October 5th in Muncie, Indiana, where Ernest had a jewellery store.  They had the one child, Lillian G. Tyler (named for Flo's oldest sister), who married Tony Petrucelli, a wonderful artist. I remember my mother at Christmas receiving painted Christmas cards from her cousin Tony - I have no idea where those cards are now. I seem to recall that Mom called Flo "Aunt Toto"... 

CHAPIN-TERWILLIGER 1884, My great-grandfather had one younger brother 12 years younger, named Harry Reid (likely for his paternal grandmother, Margaret Reid, although I have also seen his middle name spelled Reed) Terwilliger.  He married the daughter of Edwin E. Chapin, Minnie W. Chapin on 4 Nov 1884 in Syracuse, New York. Harry died in 1917, while Minnie lived until 1936 in Syracuse.  They had one living son in 1886, James Edwin, and their descendants live now in Florida.

TERWILLIGER-BROWN 1860 This pretty little card on the bottom right is quite a bit older than the other cards.  Mary E. Terwilliger is my great-grand-aunt, the aunt of James Grover "Grove" TERWILLIGER. She married Roswell O. Brown in 1860, and this pretty envelope encloses a small visiting card with their names: Mr. & Mrs. R. O. Brown, and a very difficult-to-read name ending in Terwilliger.  I'm assuming this is her, even though her first name is extremely faded. She and Roswell can be found on several censuses, and had at least one child, a boy, named Daniel O. Brown, b. abt 1873. I have done little research on this couple.

If any of these people are your ancestors or you know anything about them, please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or details.  You may email me at calewis at telus dot net, or leave a message in the Comments section below.  I am always very happy to share information, and to correct any errors I may have as well.  Thanks so much for visiting my Blog, recording every page in this wonderful 1800s Album.

The next three pages in the TERWILLIGER SOUVENIR ALBUM, are of more marriage notification cards/At Home cards of some of their friends and social circle.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Celia. What fabulous records! What's been your favourite surprising thing you've learned so far about your family genealogy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Zuleyka. I think the most surprising thing is seeing the disparity between my mother's family lines and my father's family lines. They are extremely different in socio-economic class, education, values, interests... In another time and place they would never have found each other, let alone, married.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete